Tuesday, 12 April 2011

Writing hurts my head!

I hate the process of eliminating unnecessary detail! What makes some detail unnecessary anyway dammit!?? I spend a fair amount of time trying to drum into students' heads the rule that each paragraph should only have one main idea, knowing full well as I'd doing it that the concept of: "one main idea," is horribly flawed.

I hate getting rid of digressions when they're often the only thing that makes a paragraph interesting. The connections I didn't think would crop up in the exploration of an idea (both in creative and formal writing) that don't seem big enough to confine to their own paragraph not to mention the fact that separating them from the paragraph they occurred as part of would take something vital away from them anyway.

I hate writing something that at the time that seems really awesome - a bunch of ideas that felt like they made a kind of deeper sense or revelation (at least to me) - and then on a re-read seem turgid and overcomplicated.

Actually, my frustration is more likely to be from all those things combined along with the fact that I'm really tired and need to go to bed. Guess the now-not-quite-seeming-as-awesome-as-it-did-last-night piece on post apocalyptic and dystopian landscapes will have to keep until tomorrow. It really needs a tidy up. Either that or an excommunication to the unchecked depths of my hard drive. To save it from that date, someone (I suppose me) will have to go through and make a bunch of harsh judgement calls about which details are unnecessary and cull them without sentimentality or mercy.

No comments:

Post a Comment